India is one of the world’s fastest growing economies and since the start of the 21st century annual GDP growth has been 6% to 7%. From 2013 to 2018, India has surpassed even China in the aspect of economic growth. Post industrialisation a major portion of national growth can be attributed to the advancements in the iron and steel industry. Worldwide India is the third largest producer of steel. The fact that we use most of the iron ore from domestic mining has added to the profitability and growth of the sector.
Construction is one of the main industries that uses bulk of the steel produced and it has undergone massive churn with regard to standards and demands in the last decade or two. TMT bars play a pivotal role in meeting the ever-increasing demands by the industry when it comes to quality and strength.
In the construction industry Thermo Mechanically treated (TMT) steel bars have a huge role to play at the structural level. The quality of the bars has a significant bearing on the durability of the constructed structure. The quality of the TMT bars depends upon the quality of raw material used as well as the finesse in the manufacturing techniques employed.
What are TMT bars?
TMT bars stand for Thermo Mechanically Treated bars and are steel bars that are produced in a controlled environment to make them stronger than regular iron bars used in construction. These bars go through a Thermo Mechanical Treatment that elevates the regular steel bar into one with superior qualities demanded by the industries which uses them
There are broadly 5 main stages in Thermo Mechanical Treatment which are:
- Extraction of material(iron) from raw iron ore
- Heating, Rolling and formation of Reinforced bar
- Self- tempering
- Atmospheric Cooling
The 3rd stage of quenching is most important for the TMT bars to acquire the tensile strength and flexibility.
The TMT advantage:
- They have a martensitic layer of the outer surface that enables retention of strength in case of fire hazards and situations where temperatures rise up to 600°C.
- They have external ribs running across the entire length of them that gives superior bonding strength between the bar and concrete. It can give up to 20% more strength to concrete structures with the same quantity of steel.
- Their soft ferrite-pearlite core enables the bar to bear dynamic and seismic loading, making it earthquake resistant. This makes them the favorite product of steel bar manufacturers
- TMT bars withstand bending and rebending, due to low carbon content and higher elongation. This property makes these bars easier to work with.
- The TMT process makes the bars safe and economic, due to the bendability, weldability and excellent ductility it lends to the products, allowing features like butt welding and lap-welding.
- The process also gives the bar anti-corrosive properties. They resist corrosion better than cold, twisted and deformed (CTD) bars. As there is no twisting process during TMT, no torsional stress occurs, and in the absence of torsional stress, surface defects are avoided in TMT bars.
Pulkit was the first company to manufacture corrosion-resistant steel TMT bars in South India. These bars are produced using a judicious selection of corrosion-resistant elements, complemented by a special Thermo Mechanical Treatment. Additionally, copper plugs pores in rust.
Pushpit Steels is one of the top TMT Steel Bar Manufacturers in South India and TMT bar suppliers in the country. TMT bars made by Pulkit TMT steel manufacturer fulfills all the quality requirements expected out of top 10 TMT steel manufacturers producing in Tamilnadu. To know more about us, our credibility in steel manufacturing industry and why we are considered the top Steel Manufacturing Company in South India log on to https://pulkittmt.in/